Monday, June 30, 2008

It happened last night

Ever heard the saying, "the apple don't fall too far from the tree."  From childhood well into adulthood I have been a sleeptalker and sleepwalker.  From walking out of a Vegas hotel room when I was young to having the police knock on my apartment door at 1:00 am because a neighbor reported screaming it's been a little part of who I am - giving much worry to my parents growing up and even to Brian during our early married years.  

Well it happened last night.  Jack has been following in my footsteps for quite some time now. We find him walking through the house in the middle of the night - dazed and confused on a pretty regular basis.  But last night took the cake.  We had just gone to bed when we heard him coming up the stairs.  We waited for him to come by the bedroom as he usually does but this time we hear the click of the lock on our back sliding glass door.  I ran outside only to find him wondering around the backyard.  He says to me, "I just got scared."  So I figured being outside woke him up - not the case.  I walked him back to his room and he stopped off at the bathroom. He turned around and about jumped out of his skin saying, "Oh you scared me!  What are you doing here?"  

Guess where I'm headed today - HOME DEPOT - for extra locks to put up high on all our doors.

So Mom - I know EXACTLY how you felt all those years.  I didn't sleep a wink last night.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Oh what memories that brought back to me!!! The locks are a good idea. Always be careful when you are on a trip as you walked on a few of our trips the Vegas one was the worst when you were headed for the roof!!! Have a great day and keep one eye open Love Mom

Anonymous said...

I have a very vague memory of nearly using a first floor closet as a bathroom when I was a child growing up in Bolivar. I hope the extra locks bring you some peace of mind.

Kristi said...

Come to think of it, he's been making late night inspections at our house for years as well - send Brian to install the same at our house, for all future sleep overs (-: