Well I have certainly been absent from blogging lately but today something happened that I feel is blog worthy. At the beginning of the school year I was turned onto a site called Donor's Choose. It's an online giving site for public school teachers. Basically, teachers post projects and then people can give to their projects. When the project is funded, the Donor's Choose people package up the items requested and send them off to your school. I've found some really great things to give to and absolutely love to give to a cause so near and dear to my heart. Anyhoo - we have had an enormous amount of cuts to education over the past few years and this year has been particularly challenging - even for my little school. Soooo - I decided to post a small project of my own. I requested 50 write on, wipe off pockets for use in math. The kids can slip in paper and write on the pocket for practice with facts and such - then we can wipe off and use another day - saving paper, money and the environment! The kids in my class knew about the project and I told them the purpose. We have been really excited to see our little project get funded bit by bit over the past few weeks! Well TODAY our project was fully funded and our package will be on its way after we write thank you notes to all our donors!!!! I was truly elated and a bit giddy and so were my sweet firsties!!! Six people in total gave - it was a combination of a few sweet co-workers, an awesome parent from my class this year, a former student and Directv of Denver! How cool is that! In a few weeks my class will be rockin and rollin with our math facts while doing something awesome for our school and for the environment too!
Well there you have - it my little plug for donarschoose.org! There are so many schools out there that are so much more deserving than mine. Check it out if you get a chance!
2 comments:
Susan, I will check out the website for sure. This is the first I've heard of it. What a cool idea. Also, your story reminded me of something Priya's teacher did last year. She had a box in the workroom asking people to put their scraps of laminate in it. Then she had me cut those scraps to 8 1/2 x 11 inch pieces. She saves them all for exactly what you are doing with your pockets. The kids lay a piece over a sheet of paper and use white board markers to write on and then wipe off when they are finished. Maybe some of the other teachers can use this idea. Thanks for sharing the website!
Thanks for the comment Sandy. We are definitely being forced to be more resourceful these days but in many ways I believe it is for the good. I do absolutely love this site though. And what a great tip from Priya's teacher. Love it!
Post a Comment