Tuesday, September 9, 2008

That Nicholas

gotta love him.  Today, while at a play date with friends, my very intelligent Kindergartener thought it would be fun to squeek at dog toy right in his ear (about 50 times according to his older brother.)  Later in the afternoon here's the conversation that transpired:

Me: Nicky do you want a snow cone?
Nothing
Me: Hey Nicky, Mrs. Kelham is making snowcones what flavor do you want?
Nothing
Me to my friends:  Gosh, he's in his own little world today. HaHaHa.

Later:
Me:  Nicholas say thank you to Mrs. Kelham.
Nothing
Me (a little louder): Please say thank you.
Nothing
Me (embarrassed):  Thanks Donna we had fun.

So we are driving home and I'm talking away when I realized that my smallest son can not hear a word I am saying, literally, not a word.  Of course Brian is away for the week, I'm alone, I'm supposed to work tomorrow, and my child can not hear!  Jack begins to cry and says that first think tomorrow he is going to the library to check out a book on sign language.  Needless to say I freaked out a bit, calling Brian, the doctor, a friend whose husband is a peditrician. They all said be patient, wait a bit, it should come back by tomorrow.  Well I couldn't wait until tomorrow so off we went to an after hours clinic and they checked him all out.  And although he still can not hear all that well, he is free of infection and improving slightly and hopefully with some rest he'll be good to go tomorrow.  But until then this is what it sounds like in our house tonight:

Me: NICHOLAS, GET YOUR PJ'S ON.  
N: What?
Me: PJ'S!  GET THEM ON AND BRUSH YOUR TEETH!
N:  What wreath?
Me:  YOUR TEETH (POINTING) BRUSH YOUR TEETH
N:  OK I hear you now!

Whew!!!  I need a drink!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan,

You make the incident sound very funny, but it must have been terrifying for you. I hope Nicky is doing better. As an aside, I am very proud that Jack thought about getting a book out of the LIBRARY.

Love,
Aunt Betsy